"It's about community. It's about bringing people together. It's about creativity and service. It's about making the community in which we live a really great place to be." - In Miscellaneous Quotes, by Andy Stoll

You must be logged in as a member to use the Forum and join the conversation. Join Here

*COF reserves the right to publish Questions and Answers received by email maintaining anonymity should visitors to this site not wish to post their Own questions.

Attendance at AGMs

Attendance at AGMs  

(@phil)
Estimable Member Admin

How do you increase engagement and attendance at AGMs in your Condo? Complacency is a culture of convenience, some Condos are very good at battling this culture and ensuring a vibrant culture of community. How do they do it?

Posted : 21/12/2018 2:05 am
(@terry-g)
Trusted Member

Apart from issuing a special levy (aka special assessment), or instituting rules that get everyone riled up, how can we get more attendance at AGM's?

One thought I have had is to have speakers come and talk about issues that are of special interest to Owners, such as:

1. replacement reserve studies and plans
  2. insurance
  3. safety

I would love to hear what others thoughts might be.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/12/2018 11:27 am
(@villa2016)
Active Member Paid Members

In our 100 unit duplex style bareland condo we have speakers come in for a Saturday morning coffee type gathering say every 8 weeks or so. It works well but at the very best 30 attend representing fewer than 30 units. We would have a significant higher attendance for an AGM or town hall. Worth a try but it may not cure disinterest in condominium affairs which is prevalent. The real problem is general lack of involvement as in thinking someone else will do it. This affects all aspects of board business including governance and is, as we all know a significant flaw in how condominiums function. All this does not help with attendance.

1  Make sure the AGM is very well run. There are multiple advice sites. 

2  Improvements will take years so count success in small numbers.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/12/2018 1:47 pm
(@terry-g)
Trusted Member

What an excellent idea.

I know my Board used to have 'coffee with the board' evenings where people could informally ask questions.  That way they defeated the rumour mill and AGM's were not the subject of 12 months of stored up frustration.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/12/2018 9:37 am
(@villa2016)
Active Member Paid Members

Limiting , “ 12 months of stored up frustration “. Yes that is very important for a well run AGM. The board should be transparent and try to deal with some issues as they come up during the year illiminating them from  AGM disruption. Overloading the AGM and including controversy happens often enough and the frustrated owners legitimate discussion gets blamed for long agendas.

modified: illiminating misspelled 

This post was modified 3 months ago 2 times by villa2016
ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/12/2018 10:09 pm
GibsonT liked
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register